Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hamdinger hamdinger is offline

Default Excel 2007 Taskbar Tab shows Icon + "Microsoft Excel - filenam

The following solution didn't work for me. I'm using office 2003, not sure if
that makes a difference. Basically Windows wouldn't let me run excel with any
command-line switches like /unregserver.

Apparently this titling of taskbar icons changed between Office 2000 &
Office 2003. My office just upgraded to Office 2003, though I still have
Office 2000 on the computer (don't ask me why). It's really apparent - if I
open up two files names "Spreadsheet A.xls" and "Spreadsheet B.xls" in Excel
2000, the taskbar icons show just those filenames - perfect! In Excel 2003,
if I open both spreadsheets, the taskbar icons both just say "Microsoft
Excel". I have numerous spreadsheets up during the day and it's frustrating
not to be able to see at a glance which is which.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

"Sheeloo" wrote:

This is probably because Excel is opening all workbooks in separate
instances...

Try
Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe (most likely C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office12)

In that case StartRun "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office12\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK

"glastron99" wrote:

Windows Vista Bus / Excel 2007:
How do I show just the filename on my Excel taskbar tabs?

My taskbar shows [Excel Icon] "Microsoft Excel - Filename1", with multiple
tabs on my taskbar I typically can't see which "Filename" is which because
there is not enough space. eg. "Microsoft Excel - Fil"
MS Word Tabs on the taskbar only show [Word Icon] filename.
The Word and Excel Icons are enough to know what app the tab is, I don't
need to see the words "Microsoft Excel"