Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MBF MBF is offline

Default Default File Location-Excel 2003

I want to change the default file location when opening files in Excel v2003.
I have tried tools/options/general and typed in the default file location I
want but when I exit excel and re-open it reverts back to the my documents
file location. Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That setting is stored in the Registry.

Do you have permission to write to the Registry?

See what you have as DefaultPath under this key if you have permission to
StartRun Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:09:03 -0800, MBF
wrote:

I want to change the default file location when opening files in Excel v2003.
I have tried tools/options/general and typed in the default file location I
want but when I exit excel and re-open it reverts back to the my documents
file location. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MBF MBF is offline

I can navigate all the way to Options but am not sure what I'm looking for or
doing at that point????

wrote:

I want to change the default file location when opening files in Excel v2003.
I have tried tools/options/general and typed in the default file location I
want but when I exit excel and re-open it reverts back to the my documents
file location. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

I used to have this problem if I opened excel when I wasn't mapped to my network
drive.

I created a file in my XLStart folder that tried to change that setting each
time I opened excel.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

'Dim FSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
Dim FSO As Object

Const myDefaultFolder As String = "X:\my folder\myfolder2"

'Set FSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject
Set FSO = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")

With Application
If FSO.FolderExists(folderspec:=myDefaultFolder) Then
.DefaultFilePath = myDefaultFolder
ChDrive myDefaultFolder
ChDir myDefaultFolder
Else
MsgBox "DefaultFilePath not reset, still: " & .DefaultFilePath
End If
End With
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

=======
I would guess that if you don't have the authorization to write to the windows
registry that this setting may not be kept for you. You may want to test to see
if other changes are kept, too.

If they're not, I'd ask the IT folks why it wasn't working.

--

Dave Peterson