Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Count the number of cells containing a date within a range

Investigated using COUNTIF but from what I can see you need to set specific
criteria i.e. an exact date rather than just a cell with any date in it.

I know I could count the blank cells and take them from the total number of
cells using COUNT but this is long winded.

Any help welcome.
--
Scoffers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you use COUNT it will not count blank cells. Similarly,

=COUNTIF(A:A,"<")

will count all cells in column A that are not empty.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 24, 9:23*am, Scoffers
wrote:
Investigated using COUNTIF but from what I can see you need to set specific
criteria i.e. an exact date rather than just a cell with any date in it.

I know I could count the blank cells and take them from the total number of
cells using COUNT but this is long winded.

Any help welcome.
--
Scoffers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can refer to a cell containing a date:
=COUNTIF(B:B,A2)
returns how many times date in A2 occurs in column B!

The other part of your post is not understandable for me, please specify it
in details, possibly with an example!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Scoffers€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Investigated using COUNTIF but from what I can see you need to set specific
criteria i.e. an exact date rather than just a cell with any date in it.

I know I could count the blank cells and take them from the total number of
cells using COUNT but this is long winded.

Any help welcome.
--
Scoffers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Since real dates are just numbers
=COUNT(A:A)
would be easiest, provided the col is clean data containing only real, valid
dates
(btw, blank cells won't affect COUNT)

If the data could be mixed, ie real dates interspersed with zeros or other
real nums which are not valid dates, something like this should provide more
robust results, ie check it within a known, valid date range, eg:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=--"5 Jan 2009")*(A1:A10<=--"18 Jan 2009"))

High-five? Click Yes below
--
Max
Singapore
"Scoffers" wrote:
Investigated using COUNTIF but from what I can see you need to set specific
criteria i.e. an exact date rather than just a cell with any date in it.

I know I could count the blank cells and take them from the total number of
cells using COUNT but this is long winded.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=start_date_cell),--(A2:A200<=end_date_cell))

--
HTH

Bob