Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I count the number of records within a date range? New issu

My employer provides a database that I converted to excel with the following
values for dates... example... 01/01/2006.

I need some help to build a formula to count the namber of cells that fall
within a range of dates... for example 01/01/1955 to 12/31/1977. How do I do
this? I've tried lots of ideas... nothing seems to work for me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Larry

There are many ways to achieve this.
It is probably easiest to put the date ranges in cells e.g. enter in D1
01/01/1955 and in E1 12/31/1977

Then with your range of dates being in column A
=COUNTIF(A:A,"="&D1)-COUNTIF(A:A,""&E1)
This counts all the cells which have dates greater tna or equal to the
first date, and subtracts the number that are greater than the last date

Alternatively
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$1000=D1)*($A$1:$A$1000<=E1))
Note that you cannot use whole columns ranges with Sumproduct, just set
the range long enough to cover your set of data.

--
Regards

Roger Govier