Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert xla add-in to xlam?

I have an add-in in xla format that I want to convert to xlam. Save-as is
unavailable in normal Excel and the VBA editor. How do I do it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the VB Editor, select the project's ThisWorkbook object, then change the
IsAddIn property to False. This makes the add-in workbook visible in Excel.
Switch to Excel and do Save As choosing the xlam file type.

The xla should still work (mostly, anyway) in 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Richard M" wrote in message
I have an add-in in xla format that I want to convert to xlam. Save-as is
unavailable in normal Excel and the VBA editor. How do I do it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The xla does not work properly in 2007. When a spreadsheet is opened you just
see a plain blue page until the Office button is clicked. As this is an
add-in that is suppplied to a lot of clients, this will generate a lot of
support questions.

Setting ThisWorkbook.IsAddin property to false etc., enabled me to save the
addin as xlam (thanks). Then I re-registered the add-in. When I open a
workbook all the functions get renamed to Addin.xlam!function, which (I
think) means all the cells in the workbook that use that function need to be
changed.

Richard

"Richard M" wrote in message
I have an add-in in xla format that I want to convert to xlam. Save-as is
unavailable in normal Excel and the VBA editor. How do I do it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did a quick test with an xla and an xls that called a function in the xla.
I converted the xla to an xlam. The formulas that called the function linked
to the old file.

All you would need to change is the path to the original add-in. Install the
new add-in, open the file. You will see #NAME? errors wherever the cell
references the old add-in. do a search and replace, changing the old path to
nothing. For example, my old function was

='C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Peltier\Desktop\Hello\Hello.xla'!Hello()

I need to change this to

=Hello()

It's inconvenient, but it can be automated. For one project I wrote a
routine that detected when a file was opened, then is searched for and
deleted the old path. There was a small lag on file open, which may be
exaggerated in Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------