Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problems with Excel Adding

I can entered data in Excel and use the autosum feature and that works or I
can use the formula =sum(a1..a55) and that works. However, if I copy and
paste numbers from another spreadsheet and tried those function either I get
zero and the formula is correct. I can even put =sum() mark the columns
instead of typing in the range and it will still give me zero. It seems to
be a copy and paste problem? I have never came across this before. I also,
have a program that will list a report and I push a button that sends it to
Excel and same thing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I bet your cells are text. They may look like numbers, but they aren't.
You can easily check with the ISTEXT() function.
If they're text:

Copy an empty cell
Select your "numbers"
EditPaste Special, check Add

Now they should be numbers.
But if you import numbers from other applications, ther may be spaces (Use
TRIM()) or other unprintable characters. Use CLEAN(). There may even be
Non-Breaking-Spaces; use Find and Replace to replace CHAR(160) with nothing
("")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"klafert" wrote in message
I can entered data in Excel and use the autosum feature and that works or I
can use the formula =sum(a1..a55) and that works. However, if I copy and
paste numbers from another spreadsheet and tried those function either I
get
zero and the formula is correct. I can even put =sum() mark the columns
instead of typing in the range and it will still give me zero. It seems
be a copy and paste problem? I have never came across this before. I
also,
have a program that will list a report and I push a button that sends it
Excel and same thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Niek has presumably won his bet. If the contents of the cell are text,
formatting numbers and currency will have no effect. You need to change
text to numbers, as Niek told you. When ISTEXT() is false and ISNUMBER() is
true, then you can continue.
--
David Biddulph