Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using Cell Names

Hi. What I'm trying to do is use cell names for formulas...for
example. I have a worksheet that has total sales for each month and
total revenue.
Jan
Socks 2.00
Revenue 10.00
Hats 5.00
Socks 2.00
Revenue 30.00
Total Sales = socks + hats + socks
Total Revenue = revenue + revenue
Total = revenue + sales

Feb
Hats
Mitts
Revenue
Socks
Hats
Total Sales = hats + mitts + socks + hats
Total Revenue = revenue
Total = revenue + sales

I would like name all the socks cells as "socks" and all the revenue
cells as "revenue" and then use it to calculate each moths totals.
But what happens if I name the 1st socks cell and then make the 2nd
one = socks, then in the total it doesn't add them together, it only
uses the first amount. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cathy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cathy,

Forget names, since you can't use duplicate names.

Try

=SUMIF(A:A,"Socks",B:B)
=SUMIF(A:A,"Revenue",B:B)

Better yet would be a database: