Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Weight the coulum totals by level of importance?

I have 9 coulms of data: Under each it's either a Yes or No. Yes means
that a certain problem occured. Coulums D, E and F are 'worth' more because
they take much longer to fix vs. the other coulms. Is there a way to 'weigh'
the coulums totals to show this?
A B C D E F G H I
1 y n y n y y y y y
2 y n y n y y y y n
3 n y n n y y n y y

Shanen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And what are you trying to *do* with the "worth" of these values?

Count the "y"'s in a column? Count the "y"s in a row?

If Row:

J1: =COUNTIF(A1:C1,"y") + 2 * COUNTIF(D1:I1,"y")

If Columns:

A4: =COUNTIF(A1:A3,"y")
D4: =2 * COUNTIF(D1:D3,"y")

In article ,
Shanen wrote:

I have 9 coulms of data: Under each it's either a Yes or No. Yes means
that a certain problem occured. Coulums D, E and F are 'worth' more because
they take much longer to fix vs. the other coulms. Is there a way to 'weigh'
the coulums totals to show this?
A B C D E F G H I
1 y n y n y y y y y
2 y n y n y y y y n
3 n y n n y y n y y

Shanen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yes in columns a, b, c,g, h, i means minimal time was needed to fix that
problem, if d,e and f are "yes", it requires lots of time to fix, so yes I
can total the yes/no's but is there a way to display the results where it is
understood that 3 of the colums (D E F) are way more 'important'? Something
like assigning a level form 1-5 on the column, 1 = minimal and 5 = extensive?

--
Shanen

Shanen wrote:

I have 9 coulms of data: Under each it's either a Yes or No. Yes means
that a certain problem occured. Coulums D, E and F are 'worth' more because
they take much longer to fix vs. the other coulms. Is there a way to 'weigh'
the coulums totals to show this?
A B C D E F G H I
1 y n y n y y y y y
2 y n y n y y y y n
3 n y n n y y n y y

Shanen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

assuming weights for a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i are 3,4,5,5,5,4,3,2,1 and ur data
type formula:
=SUM((a1:i1="y")*{3;4;5;5;5;4;3;2;1})
for the first line and then hit ctrl+shift+enter (array formula)