Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default creating mutilple columns from one column of data

I have a one colum worksheet of zipcodes (over 11,000). I want to take this
column of zips and create mulitple columns
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Tracy,
Highlight the column then Data, Text to Columns, Fixed with and click where
the data is in the place where you would like to have the column end.
If this was helpful please say yes. thank you

"Tracy" wrote:

I have a one colum worksheet of zipcodes (over 11,000). I want to take this
column of zips and create mulitple columns

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no built-in way to do that in Excel. So...
You have to paste the data into Word and use Format | Columns
-or -
Build your own method with VBA code...
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#snakecols
-or -
Try my free Special Print (trial version) Excel add-in with its "Side by Side" utility.
It provides 2, 3 or 4 up column arrangements (from single or multiple columns)
It maintains data continuity across all pages and accounts for any header area.
A new sheet with the column arrangement is created, your original data is not affected.
(not tested on xl2007)

Just email and ask for it.
Remove XXX from my email address... james.coneXXX at comcast.netXXX
Please include your real name and geographic area.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Tracy"
I have a one colum worksheet of zipcodes (over 11,000).
I want to take this column of zips and create mulitple columns
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Tracy,
I almost managed to do this a few months back. Assume you data is in a
single column starting in A1.
Elsewhere on the sheet, away from your data, say K1, enter =COUNT(A:A) to
find the number of entries.
In K2, say, enter the number of columns you want the data to be in.

Then in B1, enter

=IF(ROW()$K$1/$K$2,"",OFFSET($A$1,$K$1/$K$2*COLUMN()-1+ROW()-(2*$K$1/$K$2),0))

and copy across for the number of columns needed, and down for the number of
rows needed.

The problem I had with this is there will be a few left over, if the total
number is not divisible by the number of rows, ie if you have 100 entries,
and you want 3 columns, it will work for 99, but ignore the last one.

Dave