Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing and updating two spreadsheets

Hello everyone, one of my monthly tasks including updating this spreadsheet
by comparing my old spreadsheet with the new system generated spreadsheet.
The system spreadsheet has over 1400 groups. My spreadsheet only takes 200
groups out of those 1400 groups. All I concern is about the same 200 groups
every month. So I have to see if the 200 groups in the the system spreadsheet
has any changes, ad update the change for the groups on my spreadsheet. What
is the easy way to compare or filter out the 200 groups from the system
spreadhsheet and update any difference for my spreadsheet? The two
spreadsheets are the same.

What I did last month is manually take out each one the 200 groups from the
1400 groups to create a new updated report for the current month. This has
takenlot of my time and I hope there is an easier way to do this. Any
suggestion is appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How are the groups identified? If it is by some code in a column then
you could use a helper column to identify your specific 200 groups
from the others, perhaps by means of a table which lists your 200
groups. Then you could make use of a filter on this helper column and
just copy/paste the data from the 200 groups into another sheet. Then
you would use this reduced set to update your master file.

You will need to give more details concerning what data you currently
have, how it is laid out etc and how you want to perform the update if
you need more specific advice.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 6:40*pm, Kaylen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The groups are identified by the codes in columns A and B. The problem is
that the system spreadsheets has several groups with the same or similar
names but only one of the groups has the same code for both column A and B
and that is the group I take out for my spreadsheet. I have the same 200
groups so the list of the groups are the same, I just need to make sure the
info for my 200 groups are up to date with the info in the system spreadsheet
that contain 1400 groups! Is there a way to filter out the groups on the
system spreadsheet that have identical code for both column A and B? That
woould be the first step. Then I would have to manual filter out those
filtered groups that are on my list. At least this is a step faster. HELP!

On Jan 30, 6:40 pm, Kaylen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A formula like this in a helper column:

=IF(A1=B1,"same","")

can be copied down, and then you could apply a filter to the column
and select "same" from the filter pull-down.

If you want to copy them to another sheet, highlight the visible data,
click <copy, move cursor to the other sheet, then press <Enter.

If you want to get rid of them from the first sheet, highlight the
visible rows, click on Edit | Delete Row.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 6:40 pm, Kaylen wrote:
Hello everyone, one of my monthly tasks including updating this spreadsheet
by comparing my old spreadsheet with the new system generated spreadsheet..
The system spreadsheet has over 1400 groups. My spreadsheet only takes *200
groups out of those 1400 groups. All I concern is about the same 200 groups
every month. So I have to see if the 200 groups in the the system spreadsheet
has any changes, ad update the change for the groups on my spreadsheet. What
is the easy way to compare or filter out the 200 groups *from the system
spreadhsheet and update any difference for my spreadsheet? The two
spreadsheets are the same.

What I did last month is manually take out each one the 200 groups from the
1400 groups to create a new updated report for the current month. This has
takenlot of my time and I hope there is an easier way to do this. Any
suggestion is appreciated!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry to bother you again, now that I have siltered out the groups thathave
the same code for column A and B, I have 650 groups left. Out of these 650
groups, only 200 are of my concern. How can I filter these 200 groups out of
the 650 groups? I have the list of my 200 groups, now do I paste that list
onto the 650 filtered group list as column A and have a formula that extract
the 200 groups from the colmn B that match the groups on column A? Or how
would I go about do this? Thank you again!

On Jan 30, 6:40 pm, Kaylen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose you copy/paste that list of 200 groups into cells Z1:Z200 (I
don't know how you data is laid out, so you can put it anywhere that
doesn't interfere with your data). Then in a helper column you can use
a formula like this:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Z$1:Z$200,0)),"exclude","include ")

and then copy this down. If you now filter this column for "include"
values, you will have the rows that relate to your groups. Again, you
can highlight the visible rows and copy them to another sheet, and
this will be the data that relates only to your group of 200.

If you post back it will be useful if you can give some details
relating to your data (cells/columns used, type of data, nature of
update required etc)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 6:40 pm, Kaylen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem is that I am getting "exclude" for the rows after 200. Ok, column
A contains my list of 200 groups, column B contains the 650 groups. I would
like the helper formula to return "same" if anywhere in column B contain the
same group name as the cells in column A. With the formula you suggested, I
get "include" for the first 200 rows of groups in the helper column and the
rest after 200 yields "exclude".. Any advice?

On Jan 30, 6:40 pm, Kaylen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, put this in C1:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A:A,0)),"exclude","same")

and then copy down for as many entries as you have in column B.

Hope this helps.

Pete