Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default paste special values does not tabulate

I have values coming into a worksheet by linking and formulas.

I was able to copy and retain those values into the new worksheet and let
them sum... the values paste fine and show correctly. However they no longer
sum. I manually have to reenter each number now.

I've tried reformatting etc, just can't figure out why they are ignored when
"paste special values" is used???

--
learning excel the hard way
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

The data could be text nums which will not respond to summations
Copy any empty cell, then select the range of "nums"
Right-click paste special Check "Add" OK
That should convert all at one go to real nums, enabling downstream calcs.
--
Max
Singapore
"pegman" wrote:
I have values coming into a worksheet by linking and formulas.

I was able to copy and retain those values into the new worksheet and let
them sum... the values paste fine and show correctly. However they no longer
sum. I manually have to reenter each number now.

I've tried reformatting etc, just can't figure out why they are ignored when
"paste special values" is used???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the worksheet layout won't really allow that, the wierd part is half the
cells will sum, half the cells don't, and the remaining cells contain text
which copies correctly??!??
--
learning excel the hard way

"pegman" wrote:
I have values coming into a worksheet by linking and formulas.

I was able to copy and retain those values into the new worksheet and let
them sum... the values paste fine and show correctly. However they no longer
sum. I manually have to reenter each number now.

I've tried reformatting etc, just can't figure out why they are ignored when
"paste special values" is used???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

The method suggested will not impact real nums or real text, if any, within
the range. So I'm not sure why you say:

"pegman" wrote:
the worksheet layout won't really allow that, the wierd part is half the
cells will sum, half the cells don't, and the remaining cells contain text
which copies correctly??!??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I copy, paste special, add I lose all the text data... it looks as
though it does sum all the cells correctly though
--
learning excel the hard way

"pegman" wrote:
the worksheet layout won't really allow that, the wierd part is half the
cells will sum, half the cells don't, and the remaining cells contain text
which copies correctly??!??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

I'm afraid you mis-understood. The steps suggested to convert all nums to
real nums were to be done AFTER you have done your earlier whatever paste
special as values processes that you mentioned you did.

Please mark all responses which help by clicking the YES button below.