Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Find and replace "~"

Hello,
I'd like to remove "'#http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/" from a bunch of
urls. It should be easy to do, except that Excel doesn't seem to recognize
the "~" (the character below the escape key). Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Ellen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

use ~~
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200829

"EllenM" wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to remove "'#http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/" from a bunch of
urls. It should be easy to do, except that Excel doesn't seem to recognize
the "~" (the character below the escape key). Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Ellen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The tilde character is a special control character. To use it as a
literal character, use two:

"'#http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/!~~acrobat/"

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2009
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 05:33:27 -0800, EllenM
wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to remove "'#http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/" from a bunch of
urls. It should be easy to do, except that Excel doesn't seem to recognize
the "~" (the character below the escape key). Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Ellen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to remove "'#http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/" from a
bunch of urls. It should be easy to do, except that Excel doesn't
seem to recognize the "~" (the character below the escape key).
Can someone help me?

As someone who has *used* Excel for a long time but is no expert, I was
puzzled by why the double tilde had to be used. Thanks, Chip, for the
explanation.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add to Chip's response:

Excel can use wildcards in some functions and operations (edit|find, for
example).

* for any characters
? for any single character
~ as an "escape" character to indicate that the next * or ? should be treated as
an asterisk or question mark--not as wild cards.

So to find an asterisk, you use: ~*
to find a question mark, you use: ~?
to find a tilde, you use: ~~

wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to remove "'#http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/" from a
bunch of urls. It should be easy to do, except that Excel doesn't
seem to recognize the "~" (the character below the escape key).
Can someone help me?

As someone who has *used* Excel for a long time but is no expert, I was
puzzled by why the double tilde had to be used. Thanks, Chip, for the
explanation.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland