Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Sorting

I have 3 columns of data. (in actual fact I have 73 columns, but do not want
any sort of columns 3 to 73).

Column 1 is numeric data in ascending order.
Column 2 is Text data tied to and relevant to the numbers in column 1.
Column 3 is the same numeric data as in Column 1, but in random order.

I want to sort Columns 1 and 2 into the same random order as column 3.

How do I do this?

I would greatly appreciate a fast response - this is a huge, very late
project!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can follow following steps:-
1. Select the three columns
2. Click datasort from the toolbar
3. in the sort dialog box, select column c from sort by drop down list
4. click ok
Now You have it!...

Have a good time

Chris
------
Convert your Excel spreadsheet into online calculator.
http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com

--
Chris
------
Convert your Excel spreadsheet into online calculator.
http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In other words you *don't* want to sort. You want to put your rows in random
order.

From your description, column 3 is in the order that you want column 1 to
be. You could just copy column 3 over column 1 and that would put it in the
right order. The issue is column 2. To rearrange it, create a new column 4
with Index and Match.

Regards,
Fred.

"Penrhos" wrote in message
I have 3 columns of data. (in actual fact I have 73 columns, but do not
want
any sort of columns 3 to 73).

Column 1 is numeric data in ascending order.
Column 2 is Text data tied to and relevant to the numbers in column 1.
Column 3 is the same numeric data as in Column 1, but in random order.

I want to sort Columns 1 and 2 into the same random order as column 3.

How do I do this?

I would greatly appreciate a fast response - this is a huge, very late
project!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

I hope this example will help you:
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/sorting.html

Regards,
Bernd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've thought of another option which you might prefer.
1. Create a new column 4 by copying column 3.
2. Sort columns 1-3 as directed.
3. Delete column 3.

Hope this helps,
Fred.

"Fred Smith" wrote in message
In other words you *don't* want to sort. You want to put your rows in
random order.

From your description, column 3 is in the order that you want column 1 to

"Penrhos" wrote in message
I have 3 columns of data. (in actual fact I have 73 columns, but do not
want
any sort of columns 3 to 73).

Column 1 is numeric data in ascending order.
Column 2 is Text data tied to and relevant to the numbers in column 1.
Column 3 is the same numeric data as in Column 1, but in random order.

I want to sort Columns 1 and 2 into the same random order as column 3.

How do I do this?

I would greatly appreciate a fast response - this is a huge, very late
project!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fred,

the OP re-posted in the functions group with an example of his data,
he

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5df9844b56a?q=

I responded, and following an email from him I was able to point him
in the right direction.

Pete

"Fred Smith" wrote in message

In other words you *don't* want to sort. You want to put your rows in
random order.

From your description, column 3 is in the order that you want column 1 to

"Penrhos" wrote in message
I have 3 columns of data. (in actual fact I have 73 columns, but do not
want
any sort of columns 3 to 73).

Column 1 is numeric data in ascending order.
Column 2 is Text data tied to and relevant to the numbers in column 1.
Column 3 is the same numeric data as in Column 1, but in random order.

I want to sort Columns 1 and 2 into the same random order as column 3.

How do I do this?

I would greatly appreciate a fast response - this is a huge, very late
project!!!- Hide quoted text -

Member

Location: Sweden

There is a suitable way to handle this problem,
By selecting the three columns click on datasort from the toolbar.On the sort dialog box,select column c from sort by combo box and check the ascending radio button. You do not have to do any more....

Chris
------
Convert your Excel spreadsheet into an online calculator.
http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com