Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula assistance with subtracting percentages

Formula:
=sum(A*B+C*D) then I want to subtract 20%. I have tried several ways and
cannot get it right.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Denise
Would that work for you ? =SUM(A1*B1+C1*D1)*0.8
I think you left out the row numbers in your formula.
HTH
John
"Denise B" <Denise wrote in message
Formula:
=sum(A*B+C*D) then I want to subtract 20%. I have tried several ways and
cannot get it right.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Denise B wrote:
Formula:
=sum(A*B+C*D) then I want to subtract 20%. I have tried several ways and
cannot get it right.

=0.80*sum(A*B+C*D)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

smartin wrote:
Denise B wrote:
Formula:
=sum(A*B+C*D) then I want to subtract 20%. I have tried several ways
and cannot get it right.

=0.80*sum(A*B+C*D)

And by the way, there's no need for a SUM function he

=0.80*(A*B+C*D)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you subtract 20% from a number then you are left with 80% so multiply by
0.8

=Sum(A1*B1+C1*D1)*0.80

Will give you 80% of AB + CD

"Denise B" wrote:

Formula:
=sum(A*B+C*D) then I want to subtract 20%. I have tried several ways and
cannot get it right.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And please ditch the unnecessary use of the SUM function.

=(A1*B1+C1*D1)*0.80 will do, or, if you want to make it clearer where you
got the 0.8,
=(A1*B1+C1*D1)*(1-20%)
--
David Biddulph

"Sheeloo" <="to" & CHAR(95) & "sheeloo" & CHAR(64) & "hotmail.com" wrote in
message ...