Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Chart - making positive values into negative ones?

I have an Excel chart where one of the sets of data (vertical bars) would be
better displayed on the underside of the x axis (i.e. negative instead of
positive). Is there any way I can make this happen using the chart
formatting features?

If not presumably I shall create another column to calculate the negative
data, and then plot that.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Victor Delta wrote:
I have an Excel chart where one of the sets of data (vertical bars)
would be better displayed on the underside of the x axis (i.e. negative
instead of positive). Is there any way I can make this happen using the
chart formatting features?

If not presumably I shall create another column to calculate the
negative data, and then plot that.

That is indeed your best bet.

Additionally, a stacked column chart will avoid staggering the positive
and negative values along the x-axis.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"smartin" wrote in message
Victor Delta wrote:
I have an Excel chart where one of the sets of data (vertical bars) would
be better displayed on the underside of the x axis (i.e. negative instead
of positive). Is there any way I can make this happen using the chart
formatting features?

If not presumably I shall create another column to calculate the negative
data, and then plot that.

That is indeed your best bet.

Additionally, a stacked column chart will avoid staggering the positive
and negative values along the x-axis.

You can avoid this offset by changing the overlap to 100%.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message

"smartin" wrote in message
Victor Delta wrote:
I have an Excel chart where one of the sets of data (vertical bars)
would be better displayed on the underside of the x axis (i.e. negative
instead of positive). Is there any way I can make this happen using the
chart formatting features?

If not presumably I shall create another column to calculate the
negative data, and then plot that.

That is indeed your best bet.

Additionally, a stacked column chart will avoid staggering the positive
and negative values along the x-axis.

You can avoid this offset by changing the overlap to 100%.

Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"smartin" wrote in message
Victor Delta wrote:
I have an Excel chart where one of the sets of data (vertical bars)
would be better displayed on the underside of the x axis (i.e. negative
instead of positive). Is there any way I can make this happen using the
chart formatting features?

If not presumably I shall create another column to calculate the
negative data, and then plot that.

That is indeed your best bet.

Additionally, a stacked column chart will avoid staggering the positive
and negative values along the x-axis.

You can avoid this offset by changing the overlap to 100%.

I created the new column today with a formula that generates the negative
value, and plotted that instead of the original positive vale. That was
fine.

However, then an Excel 'gotcha' got me. When I hid the column, the
corresponding bars disappeared off the graph!

Surely there is a way of plotting hidden date in a spreadsheet? I can't
believe it's impossible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's a default setting that suppresses plotting of hidden data. You can
change this on a chart by chart basis.

In Excel 2003 and earlier: Tools menu Options Chart tab, uncheck Plot
Visible Cells Only.

In Excel 2007: Chart Tools - Design tab Select Data Hidden and Empty
Cells button Check Show data in hidden rows and columns.

- Jon
-------

"smartin" wrote in message
Victor Delta wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
That's a default setting that suppresses plotting of hidden data. You can
change this on a chart by chart basis.

In Excel 2003 and earlier: Tools menu Options Chart tab, uncheck Plot
Visible Cells Only.

In Excel 2007: Chart Tools - Design tab Select Data Hidden and Empty
Cells button Check Show data in hidden rows and columns.

Jon

You are a star - many thanks.