Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Victor Delta[_2_] Victor Delta[_2_] is offline

Default Chart - making positive values into negative ones?

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message

"smartin" wrote in message
Victor Delta wrote:
I have an Excel chart where one of the sets of data (vertical bars)
would be better displayed on the underside of the x axis (i.e. negative
instead of positive). Is there any way I can make this happen using the
chart formatting features?

If not presumably I shall create another column to calculate the
negative data, and then plot that.

That is indeed your best bet.

Additionally, a stacked column chart will avoid staggering the positive
and negative values along the x-axis.

You can avoid this offset by changing the overlap to 100%.

I created the new column today with a formula that generates the negative
value, and plotted that instead of the original positive vale. That was
fine.

However, then an Excel 'gotcha' got me. When I hid the column, the
corresponding bars disappeared off the graph!

Surely there is a way of plotting hidden date in a spreadsheet? I can't
believe it's impossible.