Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default display problem with brackets

have got some cells with brackets around numbers.

format is "("General")"

cell A1 contains 4 which displays as (4)

cell A2 = 5 which displays as (5)

but it goes wrong when I calculate...

cell A3 = A1 - A2 which displays as -(1)

but I want it to display as (-1)

how do I get the minus sign inside the brackets?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This seems to work:

"("General")";"("-General")"

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"david" wrote in message
have got some cells with brackets around numbers.

format is "("General")"

cell A1 contains 4 which displays as (4)

cell A2 = 5 which displays as (5)

but it goes wrong when I calculate...

cell A3 = A1 - A2 which displays as -(1)

but I want it to display as (-1)

how do I get the minus sign inside the brackets?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If all of your numbers are whole number you could use
(0);(-0)
or
(#);(-#)

And then to display more decimal you simple click the Increase Decimals
button on the toolbar.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"david" wrote:

have got some cells with brackets around numbers.

format is "("General")"

cell A1 contains 4 which displays as (4)

cell A2 = 5 which displays as (5)

but it goes wrong when I calculate...

cell A3 = A1 - A2 which displays as -(1)

but I want it to display as (-1)

how do I get the minus sign inside the brackets?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks to everyone who replied. All your ideas worked!

"T. Valko" wrote in message
This seems to work:

"("General")";"("-General")"

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"david" wrote in message
Many thanks to everyone who replied. All your ideas worked!

"T. Valko" wrote in message
This seems to work:

"("General")";"("-General")"

--