Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why did my Excel column headers change from letters to numbers?

New worksheets when opened now display numbers for both column and row
headers. It complicates cell references and I'm not sure why it changed from
letters to numbers. Any insight is appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

not sure why it changed, but tools/options/general - uncheck r1c1 ref style

"Linda Rae" wrote:

New worksheets when opened now display numbers for both column and row
headers. It complicates cell references and I'm not sure why it changed from
letters to numbers. Any insight is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

It's because you opened a workbook using R1C1 style.

Tools|Options - general tab and un-check R1C1

Mike

"Linda Rae" wrote:

New worksheets when opened now display numbers for both column and row
headers. It complicates cell references and I'm not sure why it changed from
letters to numbers. Any insight is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

<It's because you opened a workbook using R1C1 style

We still don't know for sure, Mike.
This is a valid explanation, but it just happens too often to folks who
don't have anything to do with R1C1 workbooks.
Anyway, who uses R1C1 reference style? (I do, but I feel I'm on my own in
the universe....) and we get this question quite often...

I still feel there is something else causing these switches.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Linda Rae" wrote:

New worksheets when opened now display numbers for both column and row
headers. It complicates cell references and I'm not sure why it changed
from
letters to numbers. Any insight is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Niek,

Now that's enlightening. I open different workbooks each AM and only
experience this if the first I open is R1C1 and never any other time so I
wasn't aware of any doubt that this was the cause.

Interesting and thanks for the info and your not on you own I frequently use
R1C1 much to the irritation of others who use these workbooks.

Mike