Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default Why did my Excel column headers change from letters to numbers?

<It's because you opened a workbook using R1C1 style

We still don't know for sure, Mike.
This is a valid explanation, but it just happens too often to folks who
don't have anything to do with R1C1 workbooks.
Anyway, who uses R1C1 reference style? (I do, but I feel I'm on my own in
the universe....) and we get this question quite often...

I still feel there is something else causing these switches.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Mike H" wrote in message

It's because you opened a workbook using R1C1 style.

Tools|Options - general tab and un-check R1C1

Mike

"Linda Rae" wrote:

New worksheets when opened now display numbers for both column and row
headers. It complicates cell references and I'm not sure why it changed
from
letters to numbers. Any insight is appreciated!