Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking data from one worksheet to other worksheets using a formul

I need a formula to link data in a reference sheet, to data in the other
sheets in the workbook.

I have one worksheet that I am using as the reference sheet. The name of
the sheet is 'Byes'. In this sheet, I have data in column C that directly
corresponds to the data in column D. Specifically, column C has text typed
in it and column D will have a number value typed in it. I need this data in
columns C & D in this sheet, to match with corresponding Data in other
sheets. Also, if I change the data in column D in my reference sheet, the
data should change in the other sheets in the workbook. Here's an example.

In my reference sheet named 'Byes': C2 = 'Arizona' and D2 = '7'. In all of
the other sheets in the workbook, if the data in column C = 'Arizona', the
data in column D should = '7'. Also, in my reference sheet, the data in C3 =
'Denver' and D3 = '8'. In all of the other sheets, if the data in column C =
'Denver', the data in column D should = '8'. And so on and so forth.

Simply put, I have data in my reference sheet named 'Byes'. Data in column
C has a corresponding value in column D. In the other sheets in the
workbook, the data in column C should have the corresponding value in column
D according to my reference sheet.

Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone too much. Thank you in advance for your
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your other sheets (and you might like to group them so that you
only need to enter this once), you can put this formula in D1:

=VLOOKUP(C1,Byes!C:D,2,0)

then copy it down as required.

Ungroup the sheets when finished.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 23, 10:13*pm, T MAT wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking data from one worksheet to other worksheets using a fo

You are Awesome. That worked great. Someone else suggested another formula
that was three times longer. Strangley, they both work. Thank you very
much. You've saved me a lot of work.

On Jan 23, 10:13 pm, T MAT wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome - glad to be of help.

Pete

On Jan 23, 10:13 pm, T MAT wrote:
[...]

help.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

.. another formula that was three times longer.
The index n match suggested to your other query back in Nov 2007? looks
longer essentially as it contained an IF(ISNA error trap to return blanks for
unmatched cases, eg:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,x!A:A,0)),"",INDEX(x!B:B,MATCH(A 2,x!A:A,0)))
If you were to bolt this IF(ISNA error trap similarly to the VLOOKUP
suggestion, think it will then appear just as long. So there you have it <g.
Its good to know both options.
--
Max
Singapore