Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Average...

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the average number of days it took my staff to
complete various customer requests. I have the network days formula already
done, but now I am trying to figure the average number of workdays for each
type of request. For example, what was the average number of days it took to
complete an address change, or cancel their account? the type of request is
in column B, and the network days are figured in column H.

I have Excel 2003, and can't seem to figure out how make it work so that it
separates each type of request and creates the average number of networkdays.

Thank you in advance :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could sort your data by type of request and then use the Subtotal
feature. Just choose Average in the Use function: box instead of
Sum. Make sure the Days column is checked in the bottom box.

On Jan 21, 2:01*pm, Sandre wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the average number of days it took my staff to
complete various customer requests. *I have the network days formula already
done, but now I am trying to figure the average number of workdays for each
type of request. *For example, what was the average number of days it took to
complete an address change, or cancel their account? *the type of request is
in column B, and the network days are figured in column H. *

I have Excel 2003, and can't seem to figure out how make it work so that it
separates each type of request and creates the average number of networkdays.

Thank you in advance :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Array Formula?:
=AVERAGE(IF($C$3:$C$22="Cancel Account",$B$3:$B$22))
=AVERAGE(IF($C$3:$C$22="Address Change",$B$3:$B$22))

where Col B holds the networkdays formula.
Note: Array Formula entered using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Alternatively, use the SUMTOTAL function

The task description would have to be uniformly entered for this to work
(use Data Validation, List to control input)

HTH
Bob

"Sandre" wrote in message

I am trying to calculate the average number of days it took my staff to
complete various customer requests. I have the network days formula
already
done, but now I am trying to figure the average number of workdays for
each
type of request. For example, what was the average number of days it took
complete an address change, or cancel their account? the type of request
is
in column B, and the network days are figured in column H.

I have Excel 2003, and can't seem to figure out how make it work so that
it
separates each type of request and creates the average number of
networkdays.

Thank you in advance :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, you can use subtotals as suggested by Michael
--
_______________________
Click "Yes" if it helps

"Sandre" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the average number of days it took my staff to
complete various customer requests. I have the network days formula already
done, but now I am trying to figure the average number of workdays for each
type of request. For example, what was the average number of days it took to
complete an address change, or cancel their account? the type of request is
in column B, and the network days are figured in column H.

I have Excel 2003, and can't seem to figure out how make it work so that it
separates each type of request and creates the average number of networkdays.

Thank you in advance :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alternatively, use the SUMTOTAL function
Sorry, that should have read: SUMPRODUCT function

Both Array Formulae & SUMPRODUCT need the arguments to cover identical rows.
Their advantage over the Subtotal feature is that they are slow to
recalculate. However - they are dynamic, and don't need the data to be
sorted. As usual, there is more way to skin your particular cat...

Bob