Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Average

I have many columns of information. And I want to average the information in
one of the columns based on a certain value appearing in another column. I
am using Excel 2002. In example below I would like to average the numbers in
column 3 if its associated number in column 1 is 1.

so I have a few formulas I have tried. First:
=IF(C4:C873=1,AVERAGE(M4:M873))
the problem is I return False as the value.
Second:
=AVERAGE(IF(C4:C873="1",M4:M873))
and zero is returned
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like your values are entered as Text, not numbers.

Try copying a blank cell, selecting C4:C873 (format them as numbers or
General, if not already), and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the
Values and Add radio buttons.

Do the same for M4:M873