Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Default Alt+Enter in cell with link to another cell

Hi friends

I know in a cell as you type you can press Alt+Enter as you are typing to
show in the cell on next line so you can line up text. I also know that as a
macro it shows as & Chr(10) & but I want to link to other sheet that has a
few Description lines and put each line of descriptions on its one line in a
cell

When I enter the formula

='TAS tran'!AI2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AJ2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AK2

it gives a #NAME? error.

How can I do in a formula to Alt+Enter so the Description lines start to the
left?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The worksheet function is CHAR, not Chr (this is VBA). So your formula
should be:

='TAS tran'!AI2&CHAR(10)&'TAS tran'!AJ2&CHAR(10)&'TAS tran'!AK2

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 20, 2:01*pm, Don wrote:
Hi friends

I know in a cell as you type you can press Alt+Enter as you are typing to
show in the cell on next line so you can line up text. *I also know that as a
macro it shows as & Chr(10) & but I want to link to other sheet that has a
few Description lines and put each line of descriptions on its one line in a
cell

When I enter the formula

='TAS tran'!AI2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AJ2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AK2

it gives a #NAME? error.

How can I do in a formula to Alt+Enter so the Description lines start to the
left?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your formula, place a space before and after each &
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200828

"Don" wrote:

Hi friends

I know in a cell as you type you can press Alt+Enter as you are typing to
show in the cell on next line so you can line up text. I also know that as a
macro it shows as & Chr(10) & but I want to link to other sheet that has a
few Description lines and put each line of descriptions on its one line in a
cell

When I enter the formula

='TAS tran'!AI2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AJ2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AK2

it gives a #NAME? error.

How can I do in a formula to Alt+Enter so the Description lines start to the
left?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Two observations:
1) use CHAR(10) not CHR(10) if you are making a formula

2) when I typed "apple" , ALT+ENTER and then "pie" I got the phase on two
line in a row of the right size. But then I used
=Sheet2!A1&CHAR(10)&Sheet2!B1, I had to turn wrap on for that cell and
manually increase the row height

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Don" wrote in message
Hi friends

I know in a cell as you type you can press Alt+Enter as you are typing to
show in the cell on next line so you can line up text. I also know that
as a
macro it shows as & Chr(10) & but I want to link to other sheet that has a
few Description lines and put each line of descriptions on its one line in
cell

When I enter the formula

='TAS tran'!AI2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AJ2&Chr(10)&'TAS tran'!AK2

it gives a #NAME? error.

How can I do in a formula to Alt+Enter so the Description lines start to
the
left?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

Default Worked

Thanks, putting a blank before and after worked ! I am a happy guy now