Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column index number

I am using the following formula:

=VLOOKUP($C$2,PKG!A2:BN2000,34,FALSE)

This formula works for columns 1-12. After that, it doesn't give me the
correct information. Is there a way to see the column number to be certain I
am putting the right column number in?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In general
=COLUMN(AB1)-COLUMN(D1)+1
will give you the index number of Column AB when your data ranges starts at
col D.

If it starts at Col A then you can simply use
=Column(AB1)
since Column(A1) is one

"helpwanted" wrote:

I am using the following formula:

=VLOOKUP($C$2,PKG!A2:BN2000,34,FALSE)

This formula works for columns 1-12. After that, it doesn't give me the
correct information. Is there a way to see the column number to be certain I
am putting the right column number in?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

In the column you're targeting, enter

=COLUMN()

(Alternatively, you could check the R1C1 Reference style checkbox in
Tools/Options/General).

Since the A1-style designations recycle every 26 letters, column 34 (=26
+ 8) would be column AH.