Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto Count & Format based on cell value

Hello again Gods of Excel. I'm using Excel 2003 for work, rows 1 - 5 are
used for header data.

Here's what I'm struggling with this week: I need to use the value from
sheet "SET UP" cell "C2" (which is a whole number, let's say 50) on all my
other sheets (Jan - Dec) as some sort of counter. I'd like to accomplish two
things on the Jan - Dec sheets:
1) starting w/ row 6 in column A, list 1 through whatever the number
for C2 is on "SET UP" sheet. This will let the user know how much data
entered each month.
2) format cells B6:K56 (row 6 + 50 in this example) with white
background, grey border etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Note: this is a repost from earlier because I wasn't clear about what I
needed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way is to
Enter this in Cell A6
=IF('SET UP'!$C$2<(ROW()-5),"",ROW()-5) and copy down

You can conditionally format the cells with condition <"" to format as you
want.

"JSnow" wrote:

Hello again Gods of Excel. I'm using Excel 2003 for work, rows 1 - 5 are
used for header data.

Here's what I'm struggling with this week: I need to use the value from
sheet "SET UP" cell "C2" (which is a whole number, let's say 50) on all my
other sheets (Jan - Dec) as some sort of counter. I'd like to accomplish two
things on the Jan - Dec sheets:
1) starting w/ row 6 in column A, list 1 through whatever the number
for C2 is on "SET UP" sheet. This will let the user know how much data
entered each month.
2) format cells B6:K56 (row 6 + 50 in this example) with white
background, grey border etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Note: this is a repost from earlier because I wasn't clear about what I
needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why do you think you need to start a new thread?

You have suggestions at your other similar post.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:42:00 -0800, JSnow
wrote:

Hello again Gods of Excel. I'm using Excel 2003 for work, rows 1 - 5 are
used for header data.

Here's what I'm struggling with this week: I need to use the value from
sheet "SET UP" cell "C2" (which is a whole number, let's say 50) on all my
other sheets (Jan - Dec) as some sort of counter. I'd like to accomplish two
things on the Jan - Dec sheets:
1) starting w/ row 6 in column A, list 1 through whatever the number
for C2 is on "SET UP" sheet. This will let the user know how much data
entered each month.
2) format cells B6:K56 (row 6 + 50 in this example) with white
background, grey border etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Note: this is a repost from earlier because I wasn't clear about what I
needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sheeloo, thanks for the formula. I'm not familiar with the <"" (not equal
to blank?). I'm not sure how that would work. Would I refer it back to
column A? If A<"" then condition? A-ha!

Thank you!

"JSnow" wrote:

Hello again Gods of Excel. I'm using Excel 2003 for work, rows 1 - 5 are
used for header data.

Here's what I'm struggling with this week: I need to use the value from
sheet "SET UP" cell "C2" (which is a whole number, let's say 50) on all my
other sheets (Jan - Dec) as some sort of counter. I'd like to accomplish two
things on the Jan - Dec sheets:
1) starting w/ row 6 in column A, list 1 through whatever the number
for C2 is on "SET UP" sheet. This will let the user know how much data
entered each month.
2) format cells B6:K56 (row 6 + 50 in this example) with white
background, grey border etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Note: this is a repost from earlier because I wasn't clear about what I
needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No help, just picking at you.

But if the other suggestion did not help you should stick with that thread
and post the "it did not work" message.

That way all can see what has been tried..

Gord

wrote:

Hello again Gods of Excel. I'm using Excel 2003 for work, rows 1 - 5 are
used for header data.

Here's what I'm struggling with this week: I need to use the value from
sheet "SET UP" cell "C2" (which is a whole number, let's say 50) on all my
other sheets (Jan - Dec) as some sort of counter. I'd like to accomplish two
things on the Jan - Dec sheets:
1) starting w/ row 6 in column A, list 1 through whatever the number
for C2 is on "SET UP" sheet. This will let the user know how much data
entered each month.
2) format cells B6:K56 (row 6 + 50 in this example) with white
background, grey border etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Note: this is a repost from earlier because I wasn't clear about what I
needed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are right...it is not equal to blank

Just select Col A starting at A6
then enter the FORMULA IS in conditional formatting as
=A6<""
Excel will adjust the address for other cells..