Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions

Default Auto Execute Macro

I'm looking to create a macro ( preferably using the macro recorder rather
than by VB code) that will refresh my database query upon opening the
worksheet.

Is this possible or just a pipe dream. I'm not adept at VB coding so that's
why the preference for the macro recorder.

Thanks in advance for any help, hints, or clues.

dennisd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think you can do this with just a macro cause you have to have
something that triggers the event.

In the Visual Basic Editor when you enter a new module, you can select for
"Workbook" and then on the right drop down box you will see a list of
events... like On Open and such.

There you can add some code that gets triggered when the file is open.

"dennis" wrote:

I'm looking to create a macro ( preferably using the macro recorder rather
than by VB code) that will refresh my database query upon opening the
worksheet.

Is this possible or just a pipe dream. I'm not adept at VB coding so that's
why the preference for the macro recorder.

Thanks in advance for any help, hints, or clues.

dennisd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

What or maybe where is the database that you are querying? Take a look at
Data/Import External Data/, then it will depend on your source for a refresh.
I think you can use the recorder to initial and do a refresh and then have it
available. All of my queries are web based at this point, so that is all I
can test.

David

"dennis" wrote:

I'm looking to create a macro ( preferably using the macro recorder rather
than by VB code) that will refresh my database query upon opening the
worksheet.

Is this possible or just a pipe dream. I'm not adept at VB coding so that's
why the preference for the macro recorder.

Thanks in advance for any help, hints, or clues.

dennisd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions

Record a macro when you do it manually.

Call this macro (or rename it) Auto_Open

Each time you open this workbook (and allow macros to run), the Auto_Open macro
will fire.

--

Dave Peterson