Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default replace using wildcard, or else

(1) When I download my transaction record from a bank, excel seems to treat
the value, for example, $ 12.34 as text and I cannot do arithmetic. I tried
Format|Cell command but it does not work because of stupid $.

(2) So next I tried to replace $ 12.34 by 12.34 using woldcard but when I
try replacing $ * by *, $ 12.34 becomes * instead of 12.34 !!!

Any easy way to solve my problem? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If this is a text $ sign as opposed to a formatted one then remove it with

Edir|Replace - Enter a dollar sign and leave replace with blank. formatted
dollar signs won't be affected.

You may then have 'text' numbers and to comnvert to numbers put a 1 in a
cell and copy it. Select these 'text' numbers and

Edit|Paste special - select multiply - OK

delete the 1

Mike

"Office 2003 lover" wrote:

(1) When I download my transaction record from a bank, excel seems to treat
the value, for example, $ 12.34 as text and I cannot do arithmetic. I tried
Format|Cell command but it does not work because of stupid $.

(2) So next I tried to replace $ 12.34 by 12.34 using woldcard but when I
try replacing $ * by *, $ 12.34 becomes * instead of 12.34 !!!

Any easy way to solve my problem? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need a wildcard search. Just search for $ and leave the
Replace With value an empty string. You may also need to search and
replace the spaces with empty strings.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2009
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:45:00 -0800, Office 2003 lover
wrote:

(1) When I download my transaction record from a bank, excel seems to treat
the value, for example, $ 12.34 as text and I cannot do arithmetic. I tried
Format|Cell command but it does not work because of stupid $.

(2) So next I tried to replace $ 12.34 by 12.34 using woldcard but when I
try replacing $ * by *, $ 12.34 becomes * instead of 12.34 !!!

Any easy way to solve my problem? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Mike and Chip,
It completely solved my problem and I am very happy.
Thank you soooooo much.