Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default replace using wildcard, or else

Hi,

If this is a text $ sign as opposed to a formatted one then remove it with

Edir|Replace - Enter a dollar sign and leave replace with blank. formatted
dollar signs won't be affected.

You may then have 'text' numbers and to comnvert to numbers put a 1 in a
cell and copy it. Select these 'text' numbers and

Edit|Paste special - select multiply - OK

delete the 1

Mike

"Office 2003 lover" wrote:

(1) When I download my transaction record from a bank, excel seems to treat
the value, for example, $ 12.34 as text and I cannot do arithmetic. I tried
Format|Cell command but it does not work because of stupid $.

(2) So next I tried to replace $ 12.34 by 12.34 using woldcard but when I
try replacing $ * by *, $ 12.34 becomes * instead of 12.34 !!!

Any easy way to solve my problem? Thank you.