Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I store a pointer to a word file?

I need a table to track tasks and work associated with the task. These can
get lengthy, and it would be helpful if the task or work items could reside
in word files, and then point to these from a cell. Can that be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mean like a Hyperlink to a Bookmark in the Word file?

Ausum wrote:

I need a table to track tasks and work associated with the task. These can
get lengthy, and it would be helpful if the task or work items could reside
in word files, and then point to these from a cell. Can that be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use a hyperlink to point to the Word document. Click INSERT on the
menu, select HYPERLINK and browse until you locate the file you wish to link
to. Click the desired file in the directory tree and click the OK command
button to complete the link.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Ausum" wrote:

I need a table to track tasks and work associated with the task. These can
get lengthy, and it would be helpful if the task or work items could reside
in word files, and then point to these from a cell. Can that be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perfect! Thanks. I've been a "light" user of excel for a long time. The
"help" function had no responses to this, so appreciate your help! I tried
it and it works.

Ausum

"Ausum" wrote:

I need a table to track tasks and work associated with the task. These can
get lengthy, and it would be helpful if the task or work items could reside
in word files, and then point to these from a cell. Can that be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I don't think I know how the "Bookmark" reference works. I went to
the hyperlink, and there was a "bookmark" button, but I didn't know what to
do with that. I was able to save a hyperlink, but not a bookmark. I'll work
on that for a while to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your help.

Ausum wrote:

I need a table to track tasks and work associated with the task. These can
get lengthy, and it would be helpful if the task or work items could reside
in word files, and then point to these from a cell. Can that be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ausum wrote:
Perfect! Thanks. I've been a "light" user of excel for a long time. The
"help" function had no responses to this, so appreciate your help! I tried
it and it works.

Ausum

Excel help has a lot of information about hyperlinks, but if you look
for "pointers" you won't get much help, as you have discovered.

Bill