Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Reversing text

I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 1 a1 5
a2 2 a2 4
a3 3 will look like this a3 3
a4 4 a4 2
a5 5 a5 1
Take #5 and move it up to row a1 #4 move to row a2 #3 stays put, #2 move it
to a4 and #1 move to a5. Can this be done with Excel. I need it simple.
Thanks Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Highlight the data in A1:A5 then click on Data | Sort and select
Descending then OK.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 15, 11:52*am, Bobby wrote:
I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *a1 5
a2 2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *a2 4
a3 3 * * * will look like this * *a3 3
a4 4 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *a4 2
a5 5 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *a5 1
Take #5 and move it up to row a1 #4 move to row a2 #3 stays put, #2 move it
to a4 and #1 move to a5. Can this be done with Excel. I need it simple.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bobby
From your sample, I would just SortDescending but maybe I'm not seing the
full picture.
HTH
John
"Bobby" wrote in message
I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 1 a1 5
a2 2 a2 4
a3 3 will look like this a3 3
a4 4 a4 2
a5 5 a5 1
Take #5 and move it up to row a1 #4 move to row a2 #3 stays put, #2 move
it
to a4 and #1 move to a5. Can this be done with Excel. I need it simple.
Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi bobby

explain how you want to do it using formula or using a single command.

If u want to use it in a command, then copy second column alone and go to
paste special and click transpose. U will get the result.

It's ok for u?

"Bobby" wrote:

I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 1 a1 5
a2 2 a2 4
a3 3 will look like this a3 3
a4 4 a4 2
a5 5 a5 1
Take #5 and move it up to row a1 #4 move to row a2 #3 stays put, #2 move it
to a4 and #1 move to a5. Can this be done with Excel. I need it simple.
Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I word my problem wrong. Here's it again.

"Bobby" wrote:

I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 9 a1 12
a2 5 a2 1
a3 7 will look like this a3 7
a4 1 a4 5
a5 12 a5 9

assending / desending isn't what I'm lookin for.
Thanks Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
I would use a extra column and number them in order starting at the top
after you select both column and you sort descending.
HTH
John

"Bobby" wrote:

I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 9 a1 12
a2 5 a2 1
a3 7 will look like this a3 7
a4 1 a4 5
a5 12 a5 9

assending / desending isn't what I'm lookin for.
Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To invert a column, in B1 enter:

=INDEX(A:A,LOOKUP(2,1/($A$1:$A$65535<""),ROW($A$1:$A$65535))-ROWS(B$1:B1)+1)

and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200826

"Bobby" wrote:

I have a column formatted as text, I want to reverse the numbers around
a1 9 a1 12
a2 5 a2 1
a3 7 will look like this a3 7
a4 1 a4 5
a5 12 a5 9

assending / desending isn't what I'm lookin for.
Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or if you know what the last row will be, this is easier to type.

=INDEX($A:$A,5-(ROW(A1)-1))

Change the 5 to last row number.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:44:12 -0800, Gary''s Student
wrote:

To invert a column, in B1 enter:

=INDEX(A:A,LOOKUP(2,1/($A$1:$A$65535<""),ROW($A$1:$A$65535))-ROWS(B$1:B1)+1)

and copy down

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote...
Or if you know what the last row will be, this is easier to type.

=INDEX($A:$A,5-(ROW(A1)-1))

Picky: this only works for ranges that start in row 1. Gary's formula
works for ranges starting in any row.

If the last row is known, and the first row is known, then the whole
range should be known. If so, here's a simplification that works for
ranges starting in any row. For example, if the range were C5:C24,

C5:
=INDEX($C$5:$C$24,ROWS($C5:$C$24))

and fill down.