Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default count if colum begins with

How do I create a formula to count using begins with. Example, I want to
count the number of time the column begins with other than closed, cancel,
Open, or column is blank. I already have the columns that start with open,
closed, etc counting for the total number that are open or closed. I also
need to know the number of time the column starts with other than open,
closed, etc. Countblank is also counting the number of blank columns. The
columns are all words and not number value, but I want the accurance to
count. I was thinking there should be a way to countif columns does not
begin with "open, closed or Cancel" but I can not get it to work. Hope you
can help.

Columns;

Open
Cancelled due to transfer
Planning/Research
Draft Report
Closed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This gives the count of cells in A1:A10 that do not begin with "open",
"closed", or "Canceled".
Includes blank cells:
=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:A10,4)<"open")*(LEFT(A1:A10, 6)<"closed")*(LEFT(A1:A10,6)<"Cancel"))
If you don't wan't blanks:
=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:A10,4)<"open")*(LEFT(A1:A10, 6)<"closed")*(LEFT(A1:A10,6)<"Cancel")*(NOT(ISBL ANK(A1:A10))))
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"linda" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use wildcards with COUNTIF, so you could have:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"Open*")

to count all the cells in column A which start with "Open". In a
similar way, this one will count those cells which do not start with
"Open":

=COUNTIF(A:A,"<Open*")

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 14, 6:34*pm, linda wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe this:

=COUNTA(A1:J1)-SUM(COUNTIF(A1:J1,{"open","closed","cancel*"}))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"linda" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok i think I am all most there, this includes the "blank" columns, I do not
want to count the blank columns, I want to count the columns that do not have
"open, closed, or are blank. This will be the ones that start with other
words.

thanks

"linda" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If that counts blank columns then that means you either have formulas that
return formula blanks ("") or, there is some unseen charater(s) in the cells
like space characters.

If you're dealing with *TEXT* entries only try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:J1,"?*")-SUM(COUNTIF(A1:J1,{"open","closed","cancel*"}))

That will account for formula blanks.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP