Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default count if colum begins with

Maybe this:

=COUNTA(A1:J1)-SUM(COUNTIF(A1:J1,{"open","closed","cancel*"}))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"linda" wrote in message
How do I create a formula to count using begins with. Example, I want to
count the number of time the column begins with other than closed, cancel,
Open, or column is blank. I already have the columns that start with
open,
closed, etc counting for the total number that are open or closed. I also
need to know the number of time the column starts with other than open,
closed, etc. Countblank is also counting the number of blank columns.
The
columns are all words and not number value, but I want the accurance to
count. I was thinking there should be a way to countif columns does not
begin with "open, closed or Cancel" but I can not get it to work. Hope you
can help.

Columns;

Open
Cancelled due to transfer