Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding information

I am trying to keep an inventory of ware house. How do i have my "total" (say
1000 apples) in 1 column and another column have "recieved" (say i get 500
more apples). how do i get them to sum the added, and stay at 1500 apples, so
the next time when i get 200 more apples i can type in 200 and it goes to
1700. so on and so on. i basically need to get around the reoccurring
circle, but i can figure it out even when i enable it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your inventory is exactly like a checkbook register!:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101441121033

Additions to inventory are entered in column G and removals from inventory
go in column F
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200825

"darren" wrote:

I am trying to keep an inventory of ware house. How do i have my "total" (say
1000 apples) in 1 column and another column have "recieved" (say i get 500
more apples). how do i get them to sum the added, and stay at 1500 apples, so
the next time when i get 200 more apples i can type in 200 and it goes to
1700. so on and so on. i basically need to get around the reoccurring
circle, but i can figure it out even when i enable it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like you want to have your "total" cell as an accumulator.

It is possible but not easy to error-check because you would have no "paper
trail" for checking.

Best to use an extra column...........you have many of them on a sheet.

Use that column for keeping a running total based on ins and outs.

I f you must accumulate in one cell see John McGimpsey's site but heed the
caveats.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP