Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Install excel xp (2002) add-in instructions don't work

I have searched multiple excel forums and professional excel user sites for
instruction to install an add-in. None of the instructions work. The most
recent from a pro said click toolsinsert then choose user defined, (UD), in
the paste function option. I use excel xp, aka 2002. When I click
toolsinsert, neither user defined or paste function appears. The only thing
displayed is a list of excel built in functions to choose from. Also read
other methods to install a UD function, none of which work. I saved a macro
as an add-in (xla file) and would like to install it. Example: I downloaded a
function in a zip file. When I unzipped the file it appeard on the add-in
list automatically. My add-in doesn't appear in the list but the original
macro does. My goal is to assign the add-in to a button. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An add-in is a file/workbook. It is not a macro.

Macros and UDF's live in a module within the add-in.

To install the add-in, store it in your Office\Library folder.

Open Excel and go to ToolsAdd-ins and select your add-in from the list.

Any UDF's in that add-in will be available in the User Defined category of
the Function Wizard (Fx)

Any macros in that add-in will not appear in the ToolsMacroMacros dialog
but can be accesed by name for you to assign to the button.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 07:24:18 -0800, Soldier52
wrote:

I have searched multiple excel forums and professional excel user sites for
instruction to install an add-in. None of the instructions work. The most
recent from a pro said click toolsinsert then choose user defined, (UD), in
the paste function option. I use excel xp, aka 2002. When I click
toolsinsert, neither user defined or paste function appears. The only thing
displayed is a list of excel built in functions to choose from. Also read
other methods to install a UD function, none of which work. I saved a macro
as an add-in (xla file) and would like to install it. Example: I downloaded a
function in a zip file. When I unzipped the file it appeard on the add-in
list automatically. My add-in doesn't appear in the list but the original
macro does. My goal is to assign the add-in to a button. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel by default looks in the Office\Library for add-ins.

BUT................

You can go to ToolsAdd-insBrowse and go to any folder to select an add-in
to load from that folder.

Gord

wrote:

I have searched multiple excel forums and professional excel user sites for
instruction to install an add-in. None of the instructions work. The most
recent from a pro said click toolsinsert then choose user defined, (UD), in
the paste function option. I use excel xp, aka 2002. When I click
toolsinsert, neither user defined or paste function appears. The only thing
displayed is a list of excel built in functions to choose from. Also read
other methods to install a UD function, none of which work. I saved a macro
as an add-in (xla file) and would like to install it. Example: I downloaded a
function in a zip file. When I unzipped the file it appeard on the add-in
list automatically. My add-in doesn't appear in the list but the original
macro does. My goal is to assign the add-in to a button. Can this be done?

Thanks for responding. Excel XP looks for add-ins in the documents and settings add in folder. When I move the file I get an error message that it can't be found in the docs and settings add in folder. I've switched the file back and forth numerous times. Perhaps what I would like to accomplish can't be done. All the experts I've asked ignore my comment that a UD option does not appear in my function wizard, that is, no UD category is displayed in the functions wizard. Perhaps my copy of excel is defective.