Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF function

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(A1<12;"";A1*2)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"MacPadana" wrote in message
Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛MacPadana€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's what I thought at first but when I try to run discriptive statistics
on a range of cells that includes that, I get a message that says "Input
range contains non-numeric data". Any other Ideas?

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛MacPadana€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It looks like your "discriptive statistics" don't like blank cells. Explain
what discriptive statistics are and someone will be sure to help you.
Posting the formulas you are using is the best way to get help.

Regards,
Fred.

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛MacPadana€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is the formula I am using:
=IF(C9=70,C9,"")

I want to populate the cells in a column with only the values in Column C
that are greater than or equal to 70. Once I have that populated I want to
use the Descriptive Statistics, Data Analysis tool to get Mean, Median, Mode
, Standard Deviation etc. on the data in the new column. As soon as there is
a cell in column C below 70, though, whatever is returned in the new column
prevents Excel from being able to calculate the statistics. If there is an
easier way to go about it, I'd be happy to hear that too.

Thanks

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛MacPadana€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your formulas are constructed to return an appearance of being empty by
using "",
which is actually a zero length string.
The important word here being "string", which means TEXT.

Perhaps your best choice is to use numeric zero,
and eliminate its display by:

From the Menu bar,
<Tools <Options <Display tab,
and *uncheck* "zero values" under Window Options.
--

HTH,

RD

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

"MacPadana" ezt ķrta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only problem is that Excel will use the zeros in calculating the
statistics making them completely inaccurate.

I appreciate everyone's input. This seams to be a tougher question than I
originally thought.

Mac

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Your formulas are constructed to return an appearance of being empty by
using "",
which is actually a zero length string.
The important word here being "string", which means TEXT.

Perhaps your best choice is to use numeric zero,
and eliminate its display by:

From the Menu bar,

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

"MacPadana" ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see a couple of options.

1. Create a range which has just the cells greater than 70. For example,
filter out the cells less than 70, copy that range, and then do the
statistics on the new range.

2. Change your statistical calculations to exclude values below 70. For
example, to calculate the mean of all the values in column C greater than
70, you can use:
=SUMIF(C:C,"=70")/COUNTIF(C:C,"=70")

As statistics aren't my strong suit, I won't be able to help you on all the
formulas. However, there's lots of people in this group who can. Just post
another question like "How do I calculate the standard deviation of column
C, excluding values below 70?". When you post, make sure you identify what
version of Excel you are using, because it will make a difference in the
functions available.

Regards,
Fred

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛MacPadana€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry to have to revisit this one. Now I have a range of cells I need to
include in a chart. As long as the cells are blank, the line on the graph
stops, which is what I want. However, if I put in the formula
=IF(B30,(C3/B3),""), Excell interprates "" as zero and the line on my chart
drops to zero. I need it to calculate a value as soon as someone enters a
value in B3, otherwise, it should treat it exactly as if it were blank. Any
suggestions wil be eagerly tested.

Mac

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛MacPadana€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Change =IF(B30,(C3/B3),"") to =IF(B30,C3/B3,NA())

Note that you are rejecting negative values of B3. If you are merely trying
to deal with blank in B3, or to avoid a divide by zero, you might prefer
=IF(B3<0,C3/B3,NA())
--
David Biddulph

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(condition,"",result_if false)

Regards,
Stefi

"MacPadana" ezt ķrta:

Can an "IF" formula return a blank cell, not a zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks David,

That works. I now get #N/A when ther is nothing in B3 but I can hide that
with Conditional Formatting. My graph looks exactly the way I was hoping it
would. Great reply.

Thanks again,

Mac