Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Military leave tracking

I would like to design an excel workbook to track leave for Soldiers
in an effort to make sure that I have sufficient manpower to complete
all my missions. I would like it to do the following:

1. On sheet 1, input rank and name, leave start and end dates

2. Pass this information into a calendar on sheet 2 (already created)
by adding Soldier info to all days on which Soldier will be on leave

3. Subtract number of Soldiers who are on leave on a given date from
pool of available Soldiers which I can place either on sheet 1 or
another sheet

4. Compare Soldiers not on leave to manpower requirements to complete
platoon's missions and give either a YES or NO response to whether we
are mission capable.

I am currently deployed to Iraq and as you can imagine, do not have a
whole lot of time to try to figure this out alone so I am asking the
experts for help. Any that you can give will be greatly appreciated
by me and my Soldiers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One possible formulas driven model ..

Illustrated in this sample:
http://freefilehosting.net/download/43h5f
Military Leave Tracking Model.xls

In sheet: x (Leave applied records)
Pool of available soldiers Staff#-Rank-Name is assumed listed in G1:I20
(used in vlookup)
1. Select Staff# from droplist in col A, a vlookup populates rank and name
in cols B and C
2. Leave start/end dates are entered in cols D & E
Point formulas in B2:C2, copied down a
=IF($A2="","",VLOOKUP($A2,$G:$I,2,0))
=IF($A2="","",VLOOKUP($A2,$G:$I,3,0))

In sheet: y (Auto-"Leave Calendar")
Dates are filled in B1 across, eg: 1-Jan-09, 2-Jan-09, etc
In B2, copied across/filled down to populate:
=IF(AND(x!$D2<=B$1,x!$E2=B$1),x!$C2,"")
auto-returns the names from x under the appropriate dates
according to the start/end dates indicated in x

Then
In sheet: z (Summary)
In cols A to G, you could have the following col headers in A1:G1 :
Date
#in pool
#on leave
#available
Scheduled Mission#
Mission Minimum Manpower Reqt
Mission Capable?

with point formulas:
In A2: =INDEX(y!$B$1:$CM$1,ROWS($1:1))
In B2: =COUNTA(x!$G$2:$G$20)
In C2: =SUMPRODUCT(--(OFFSET(y!$B$2:$B$20,,ROWS($1:1)-1)<""))
In D2: =B2-C2
In E2: =MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,5)+1
In F2: =IF(E2="","",VLOOKUP(E2,{1,15;2,16;3,17;4,18;5,16} ,2,0))
In G2: =IF(F2="","",IF(D2=F2,"Yes","No"))
A2:G2 is copied down to return the required auto-tracking results. Note that
the formulas for cols E & F (Scheduled Mission#, Mission Minimum Manpower
Reqt) are merely illustrative to complete the model, you would replace these
with your own requirements/hard figures.
--
Max
Singapore