Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying Rules in Excel

I have a rule in place that works (under Conditional Formatting). I just
don't know how to copy it down to other cells without creating the same rule
over and over again for all subsequent cells.
--
BB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Either use format painter, or Copy the cell and then select the other cells
and Edit/ Paste Special/ Format.
Or you could have selected the whole range before you applied the CF.
If you've got a formula in your CF conditions you may need to check whether
you need relative or absolute addressing, and make sure you've got what you
need.
--
David Biddulph

brewster56 wrote:
I have a rule in place that works (under Conditional Formatting). I
just don't know how to copy it down to other cells without creating
the same rule over and over again for all subsequent cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks David, the Edit/ Paste Special/ Format does not work. If I try to
copy down a range in CF - whatever is true in the very first cell of the
range - gets applied to all the other cells. It doesn't test beyond that
first cell (I am using greater than or less than to evaluate).

I am sure I am doing something wrong (with the exception of Edit/ Paste
Special/ Format)
--
BB

brewster56 wrote:
I have a rule in place that works (under Conditional Formatting). I
just don't know how to copy it down to other cells without creating
the same rule over and over again for all subsequent cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Show us the rule you are using. My guess is you overlooked David's point
about absolute and relative cell references.

For example, a rule like Formula is =A$1=MAX(A$1:A$10) will be useless if
you copy it down, it would need to be =A1=MAX(A$1:A$10). Likewise =$A$1$B$1
would be useless for copying because you would need it to read A!B1

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

brewster56 wrote:
I have a rule in place that works (under Conditional Formatting). I
just don't know how to copy it down to other cells without creating
the same rule over and over again for all subsequent cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I apologize for delay in responding. The holidays came in between and very
busy time of year at work.

Here is my "logic" thus far ...
A numeric value appears in G2 (in this case) as a result of a formula. The
CF I have for G2 works based on the following:

=$F$2$C$2

So if this evaluates to true - everything is fine. I just can't figure out
how to copy it down to all the other cells. I have tried =F2:F11C2:C11, and
I have tried =$F$2:$F$11$C$2:$C$11

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CFFormula is: =$F2$C2 entered for G2

Use the Format Painter to copy down to G11

Or simply pre-select G2:G11 and enter the formula is: as above.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP