Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing the difference between 2 worksheets

I am trying to find a way to compare the values of accounts in 2 worksheets.
One worksheet is the budget while the other worksheet is the actuals. There
may be instances where a budgeted amount may not be used. How can we combine
the 2 worksheets to find the difference between the 2 worksheets and create a
new worksheets showing the difference ? Would appreciate some help from the
experts.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do we asume you have a list of all accounts?

If so, let's assume worksheet 1 has account in column a and budget in column B

Worksheet 2 has account in A, actuals in B.

On worksheet 3, =SUMIF(sheet1!A:A,A2,B:B)-SUMIF(sheet2!A:A,A2,B:B) will give
the amount under budget you are. If over budget, will be a negative number.

"teckkee" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to compare the values of accounts in 2 worksheets.
One worksheet is the budget while the other worksheet is the actuals. There
may be instances where a budgeted amount may not be used. How can we combine
the 2 worksheets to find the difference between the 2 worksheets and create a
new worksheets showing the difference ? Would appreciate some help from the
experts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If you have a max of one line for each account in both sheets then

=Budget!A1-VLOOKUP(Budget!A1,Actuals!A$1:B$100,2,)

This will display positive or negative diferences or 0 if identical and N/A
if a value is not found in the Actuals sheet. If you don't want to display
N/A error messages you could use

=Budget!A1-IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Budget!A1,Actuals!A$1:B$100,2,)),0 ,VLOOKUP(Budget!A1,Actuals!A$1:B$100,2,))

In this example if the buget number is not found in the actuals the budget
number is displayed, you could change that by

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire