Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup values and display them

I have 2 different sets of values in 2 columns that are constantly changing.
I want excel to be able to find a missing value between the 2 columns data
and list the missing values in order. Which function(s) should I use.

If you want me to email the worksheet to you, just email me at

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming your lists are in columns A and B, and column a goes from row 1 (A1)
to row 1000 (A1000), and you want to find out if a value from that column
also appears in (or is missing from) column B, then in a column put this
formula in row 1 and fill it down to the end of the list in column A. This
assumes that the list in B goes from row 1 to row 500, but it could be of any
length, just change the address in the formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B$500,A1)=0,A1 & " is Missing from Second Column","")

"damanwitdaplan" wrote:

I have 2 different sets of values in 2 columns that are constantly changing.
I want excel to be able to find a missing value between the 2 columns data
and list the missing values in order. Which function(s) should I use.

If you want me to email the worksheet to you, just email me at

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You will probably have to resort to a macro to do this.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"damanwitdaplan" wrote:

I have 2 different sets of values in 2 columns that are constantly changing.
I want excel to be able to find a missing value between the 2 columns data
and list the missing values in order. Which function(s) should I use.

If you want me to email the worksheet to you, just email me at

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, may have to if he wants a tighter list (no empty rows) than the
relatively simple test I put up earlier would give. Plus, as is so typical
of me, I may have missed some of his real meaning in what he wants.

Ddamanwitdaplan: if we haven't helped sufficiently or appear to not
completely understand the problem, you can send the .xls file as an
attachment to email and again explain the problem. Send to (remove spaces)
Help From @ jlatham site.com

"damanwitdaplan" wrote:

I have 2 different sets of values in 2 columns that are constantly changing.
I want excel to be able to find a missing value between the 2 columns data
and list the missing values in order. Which function(s) should I use.

If you want me to email the worksheet to you, just email me at

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shane,
Just a follow-up. He sent the workbook to me. Based on the workbook I got,
basically he was only using a single cell in column A and then about 20
values in column B. So there wasn't an incredibly huge number of
combinations to deal with. I did it all with some formulas and I presume it
was acceptable to him - when I sent his workbook back to him that was the
last I heard from him.