Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clb clb is offline

Default Substitute to Retun a number

I am using the substitute function to split a cell containing <5 into two
cells: < and 5 using the following

=substitute (A1,"<","")

I need the 5 to be a number and this is causing it to be formatted as text.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"<","")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"clb" wrote in message
I am using the substitute function to split a cell containing <5 into two
cells: < and 5 using the following

=substitute (A1,"<","")

I need the 5 to be a number and this is causing it to be formatted as
text.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"<","")