Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clb clb is offline

Default Conditional Formatting on a Linked Cell

When I apply conditonal formatting to a linked cell in my spreadsheet it does
not work. Is there someway to get this to work? I am trying ot get eh vale
to be bold if it is geater than a fixed value.

The cell link is =UPLOAD!J107 that I am trying to format conditionally.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You didn't tell us what conditional formatting condition you have specified.
Are you using "Cell Value Is", or "Formula Is"? In either case you
shouldn't have a problem, providing that your conditions are using
constants, or cell references on that worksheet. From your description I
would expect that you are using "Cell Value Is" "Greater than" and then your
fixed value, and in that case it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, you didn't say what you mean by "it does not work". What cell values
do you have in the cells which are affecting the conditional formatting?
What result did you expect those to give? What result did you get?

The only problem regarding linking is if you try to use links to another
cell, not in the cell formula as you have told us but in the conditional
formatting conditions. Did you try to do that? If so, what error message
do you get? Doesn't it say something like:
"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for conditional
formatting criteria."?
That means what it says. If you want to use data from another sheet in CF,
the best bet is use a helper cell on the sheet where you want the CF
condition, use that cell to bring the data across from the other sheet, then
use that helper cell in your CF condition.
--
David Biddulph

"clb" wrote in message
When I apply conditonal formatting to a linked cell in my spreadsheet it
does
not work. Is there someway to get this to work? I am trying ot get eh
vale
to be bold if it is geater than a fixed value.

The cell link is =UPLOAD!J107 that I am trying to format conditionally.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Works fine for me.

1. what version of Excel are you using
2. is J107 a number?
3. try applying a pattern and see if that works

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"clb" wrote:

When I apply conditonal formatting to a linked cell in my spreadsheet it does
not work. Is there someway to get this to work? I am trying ot get eh vale
to be bold if it is geater than a fixed value.

The cell link is =UPLOAD!J107 that I am trying to format conditionally.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
clb clb is offline

I am using Excel 2003, J107 is a number from another spreadsheet that is
updated and the link is used to update my master spreadsheet. I tried the
pattern and it did not work with the greater sign but did with a less than
(opposite of the logical test). The formatting did not change when I put in a
value that should have made the pattern go away when the link updated the
master sheet.