Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can you add conditional formatting to columns that are linked?

I have realised that you can't add conditional formatting to sheet1 that
references data from from sheet 2, so I am displaying the data from sheet 2
onto sheet 1 which I will hide when completed, I can set conditional
formating using the data but it doesnt seem to work, is it because the
conditional formatting is reading the actual data in the cell (ex in this
case is =Customer_List!C5) instead of whats being displayed (ex 1/5/2007)
which is what I want the formatting to work against?

Is there another way I can do this? I want to ensure that the date field
stays dynamic so as the data gets updated the conditional formatting will do
its trick on the summary page .

Thanks
--
Neall
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not sure if this is what you want:

highlight column A

FormulaIs: =A1=C5

set colour

This wil highlight values in A which match C5

FYI: you can use values from another sheet if you name the variables.

e.g if Sheet2!c5 is named "mydata" then in CF:

=A1=mydata

will work.

HTH

"Neall" wrote:

I have realised that you can't add conditional formatting to sheet1 that
references data from from sheet 2, so I am displaying the data from sheet 2
onto sheet 1 which I will hide when completed, I can set conditional
formating using the data but it doesnt seem to work, is it because the
conditional formatting is reading the actual data in the cell (ex in this
case is =Customer_List!C5) instead of whats being displayed (ex 1/5/2007)
which is what I want the formatting to work against?

Is there another way I can do this? I want to ensure that the date field
stays dynamic so as the data gets updated the conditional formatting will do
its trick on the summary page .

Thanks
--
Neall

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not really clear about what you are formattting to evaluate for but this
in A1 in sheet 1 looks at D1 on Sheet 1 to check if the date is earlier than
today.

=$D$1<=TODAY()

The date in D1 is picked up from another sheet with

=Sheet2!B1

Mike

"Neall" wrote:

I have realised that you can't add conditional formatting to sheet1 that
references data from from sheet 2, so I am displaying the data from sheet 2
onto sheet 1 which I will hide when completed, I can set conditional
formating using the data but it doesnt seem to work, is it because the
conditional formatting is reading the actual data in the cell (ex in this
case is =Customer_List!C5) instead of whats being displayed (ex 1/5/2007)
which is what I want the formatting to work against?

Is there another way I can do this? I want to ensure that the date field
stays dynamic so as the data gets updated the conditional formatting will do
its trick on the summary page .

Thanks
--
Neall

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

if you name the fields on the second sheet, you can use conditonal formating
against the name from another sheet