Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 - Sorting 3 columns

I am not very good with Excel nor 2007 version so hopefully I can explain
this so you can understand.
I have an excel spreadsheet for work that I am trying to sort 3 columns at
once. Column A is titled Classes, Column B is Grades and Column C is Type.
I turned on the filter sor sorting and used the down arrow of Column A to
select what Classes I wanted and it did fine; however when I try to do the
same on Column B it only sorted Column B and did not show my my sorts in
Column A. The same for Column C, when I select what i want it does not show
me my selection for Column A and B.
If this does not make since I can attach the document and show you, but I am
not sure how to do this.
Can you help with this?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds to me that you're not sorting but rather filtering. When you
apply filters to more than one column you get only the records that match
all the filters. If what you really want are the records that meet any of
the criteria you have to use Advanced Filter on the Data tab. Write back if
you need help on this.

--
Jim
"sheila4typing" wrote in message
|I am not very good with Excel nor 2007 version so hopefully I can explain
| this so you can understand.
| I have an excel spreadsheet for work that I am trying to sort 3 columns at
| once. Column A is titled Classes, Column B is Grades and Column C is
Type.
| I turned on the filter sor sorting and used the down arrow of Column A to
| select what Classes I wanted and it did fine; however when I try to do the
| same on Column B it only sorted Column B and did not show my my sorts in
| Column A. The same for Column C, when I select what i want it does not
show
| me my selection for Column A and B.
| If this does not make since I can attach the document and show you, but I
am
| not sure how to do this.
| Can you help with this?
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First: do you wish to sort the entire range with three columns OR do you
wish to sort each column individually? Let's see a simple example with two
columns
Column A Column B
g 3
z 12
a 16
a 7
Do you want:
Column A Column B
a 7
a 16
g 3
z 12
OR do you want
Column A Column B
a 3
a 7
g 12
z 16

If the first is want you want: click somewhere in side the range; on the
Data tab, in the Sort & Filter group, press the icon with the word "Sort"and
fill in the dialog box - you want to sort by Column A then by Column B. It
really helps to have labels (titles) at the top of each column.

To sort for the second method select a cell in column A and use the tool
with the down arrow. Move to column B and use the tool again.

Some tutorials:
http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/excel2...l2007s3p1.html

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob,

I can do that; however this excel sheet will be used by over 1000 different
suppliers for my work and we think that it will be too much work for the
supplier especially since they already know how to use the down arrows.

sheila4typing wrote:

I am not very good with Excel nor 2007 version so hopefully I can explain
this so you can understand.
I have an excel spreadsheet for work that I am trying to sort 3 columns at
once. Column A is titled Classes, Column B is Grades and Column C is Type.
I turned on the filter sor sorting and used the down arrow of Column A to
select what Classes I wanted and it did fine; however when I try to do the
same on Column B it only sorted Column B and did not show my my sorts in
Column A. The same for Column C, when I select what i want it does not show
me my selection for Column A and B.
If this does not make since I can attach the document and show you, but I am
not sure how to do this.
Can you help with this?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jim,
I think I understand. Can you help me do this. Basically I need to
sort/filter on column A (have that info stay) then sort column B (have that
info stay along with column A) etc.