Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Microsoft's Excel Discussion Group Site is screwed up.

I don't see any messges after December 23, 2008?
Yet, I receive notifications of posted answers.
--
Templar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Templar" wrote in message
I don't see any messges after December 23, 2008?
Yet, I receive notifications of posted answers.
--
Templar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it's been more like a week this time (or close to it). google groups "seems"
to be more up to date as is OfficeKB. but MS office site is the fritz this
time. I even did a "contatct us" to vent my frustrations.
yes. there may be "better" ways. but for some reason.... i just expected
more form microsoft. better than having to find a "work around".
how cheap.

my thoughts.
FSt1

"Mike H" wrote:

It does that frequently, they'll fix it in the next day or so

On Dec 27, 9:30 am, Templar wrote:
I don't see any messges after December 23, 2008?
Yet, I receive notifications of posted answers.
--
Templar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi.
major problems with site. your are not the only one. i am seeing the same
thing your are. and worst....it varies. from 12-26 to 12-23. some post read
"community message not available". minutes later after refresh, it will be.
minutes late after refresh, it will not be avaiiable again. grrrrr.

excuse me but i expected more from microsoft.

Regards
FSt1

"Templar" wrote:

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article ,
FSt1 wrote:

it's been more like a week this time (or close to it). google groups "seems"
to be more up to date as is OfficeKB. but MS office site is the fritz this
time. I even did a "contatct us" to vent my frustrations.
yes. there may be "better" ways. but for some reason.... i just expected
more form microsoft. better than having to find a "work around".

Not trying to be cynical, but -- why would you think that?? What
evidence has MS ever provided that would lead one to think that they
know how to properly implement a web-based interface to the newsgroups?

Nearly every attempt they've made to "improve" ng's has been a disaster,
and few regulars are willing to put themselves through the hassle of
using a web portal when newsreaders work reliably and well.

Even OE is better.

how cheap.

That, at least, is true - free, in fact. You get your money's worth...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Google Groups?

Hi
Just a question...What is Google Groups? And yes, I'm getting the same
problems everyone else is. Also, the background color has changed from white
to gray...strange

Thanks
--
smither fan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All of the different venues for posting/reading/replying to messages
are really nothing more than web-based front ends to the vernerable
NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) protocol for UseNet message
systems. UseNet has been around a *lot* longer than the web. All else
that you may see in your "community" (or "forum" or "discussions" or
whatever they decide to call it) is eye-candy running on top of
UseNet. For the most reliable (and, in my opinion, easiest and
user-friendliest) connetcion and access to UseNet is to (1) use a
real news reader such as Forte Agent or Gravity, or, to a lesser
extent Outlook Express -- aka Windows Mail in Vista), and (2) connect
directly to the Microsoft servers (msnews.microsoft.com) rather than
going throgh all the hoops of your ISP's UseNet connection and all the
hoops of the web pages that try to "webify" UseNet.

Google Groups is Google's attempt to splatter HTML all over UseNet.
Google Groups does have a very nice search facility for archived
newsgroups (think the late Deja News).

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2009
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 23:08:00 -0800, Ross
wrote:

Hi
Just a question...What is Google Groups? And yes, I'm getting the same
problems everyone else is. Also, the background color has changed from white
to gray...strange

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article ,
Ross wrote:

Just a question...What is Google Groups?

Google for "Google Groups"...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Dec 27, 11:08*pm, Ross wrote:
Just a question...What is Google Groups?

Google Groups is simply Google's name for its (mostly) Usenet server.

Generally, all of these forums a "newsgroups". Most newsgroups are
relayed to many servers throughout the world. Google Groups and MS
Discussion Groups are just two examples newsgroup servers.

However, bear in mind that many companies that maintain Usenet servers
or provide access to them also might maintain private newsgroups.
Whether or not they push these private newsgroups out to other Usenet
servers is a matter of policy. In other words, you might find that
some newsgroups are available only on one server.

How you access these servers is another issue. Google and MS provide
web access, which formats the newsgroups as web pages. Alternatively,
you can use other programs to access these newsgroups, either from the
same Google and MS servers or from other servers. For example,
Outlook provides a method for accessing newsgroups. It is important
to realize the distinction between a newsreader and a newserver: the
first simply contacts the second to retrieve postings.

To understand the problems that people have with "missing" postings,
it might be helpful to understand how newsgroups are maintain among
the many servers.

First, you post using a newsreader, be it something like Outlook or a
web page interface. Second, "a" newserver is often a collection of
systems composed of a front-end for receiving posting and a back-end
for storing and retrieved archived postings. Either the front-end or
the back-end computer -- usually the front-end -- is responsible for
forwarding new postings to some newservers in the Usenet network.

This separation of front-end and back-end functionality causes some
interesting anomalies.

First, a failure in the front-end computer can cause a posting to be
lost completely, even after it was successfully transmitted from your
computer (the newsreader) to the server.

Second, a failure in the back-end computer (or in communication
between front-end and back-end computers) can cause a posting to be
lost on the server that you posted to originally, but still
transmitted successfully to other servers.

Finally, all of this computer-to-computer communication can incur
transmission delays. That is why it sometimes takes many minutes,
even hours, for a posting to be accessible from the server it was
posted to originally. And it is possible for a posting to be
accessible from one server long before, if ever, it is accesible from
the server that it was posted to originally.

HTH.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Stop using the awful web interface, and link up to the news groups directly.
It's listed here right under Google:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...crosoft-excel/

- Jon
-------