Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell reference within text?

Hi all,

I am creating a fairly extensive group of sheets that reference a data table
at the start of the workgroup. I have to do some descriptive text within the
sheet and have to reference the cells holding the "percentage" for instance.
This percentage will change from time to time and i would like the
descriptive text to be the same but reflect the percentage change only.

Currently i have worded it so i can place the descriptive text in one cell
and the percentage in the adjoining cell but this is becomming more difficult
for formatting.

I am assuming that there is some way to create something like a hyperlink to
refer to the cell but the link won't display a change only that there is a
link. This will be printed as a final version and there will be no
opportunity for the reader to click anything.

Suggestions appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about a couple of examples?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"orcini" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My best guess:

A1 = a numeric value formatted as Percentage to one decimal place.

="Sales for the period was "&TEXT(A1,"0.0%")&" of plan."

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"orcini" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am creating a fairly extensive group of sheets that reference a data
table at the start of the workgroup. I have to do some descriptive
text within the sheet and have to reference the cells holding the
"percentage" for instance. This percentage will change from time to
time and i would like the descriptive text to be the same but reflect
the percentage change only.

Currently i have worded it so i can place the descriptive text in one
cell and the percentage in the adjoining cell but this is becomming
more difficult for formatting.

I am assuming that there is some way to create something like a
hyperlink to refer to the cell but the link won't display a change
only that there is a link. This will be printed as a final version
and there will be no opportunity for the reader to click anything.

Maybe the HYPERLINK function would meet this need:
HYPERLINK(link_location,friendly_name)

The friendly_name (descriptive text) can be a concatenation of strings,
including cell references.

To try it, I put a column of numbers in Sheet1!A1:A8 and the column sum in
Sheet1!A9. Another place in the workbook I put
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",Sheet1!A1),"The sum is "&Sheet1!A9)
which links to Sheet1!A1 and includes the sum in the descriptive text.