laldybug

Default can excel auto backup

I want my spreadsheets to automatically back up every few minutes. Is this
possible? If so how do I do it.
Thank you.
Sunil Jayakumar

ToolsOptionsSave - this will give you an option to save every xx minutes.

Hope this helps

Sunil Jayakumar

"laldybug" wrote in message
I want my spreadsheets to automatically back up every few minutes. Is this
possible? If so how do I do it.
Thank you.

www.ayyoo.com/loans.html

laldybug

Thanks a lot Sunil. One more quick question - what is the backup function in
file savegeneral optionsback up box for? Where and when will the
spreadsheet be backed up in that case.
Sharon

Hi,

"laldybug" wrote in message
I want my spreadsheets to automatically back up every few minutes. Is this
possible? If so how do I do it.
Thank you.

www.ayyoo.com/loans.html

Sunil Jayakumar

If you use this option, it will always create and save one more copy of your
sheet, so should you corrupt the file you are working on, or need to go back
to an earlier version of your work, you can recover it from there.

The Autorecover/Autosave will help you recover work in case of a crash - the
backup option is really there to protect you from yourself :)

Hope this helps

Sunil Jayakumar

"laldybug" wrote in message
Thanks a lot Sunil. One more quick question - what is the backup function
in
file savegeneral optionsback up box for? Where and when will the
spreadsheet be backed up in that case.
Sharon

Hi,

"laldybug" wrote in message
I want my spreadsheets to automatically back up every few minutes. Is
this
possible? If so how do I do it.
Thank you.

www.ayyoo.com/loans.html

www.ayyoo.com/credit-cards.html

laldybug

hi again,
I have entered a new spot for my spreadsheet to back up and it doesn't
appear to be working, I put a backup of every minute. Example: the
destination for backup that I put in is C:
Do you know why I can not find it on C: ?
Thank you,
Sharon

Hi,

"laldybug" wrote in message
Thanks a lot Sunil. One more quick question - what is the backup function
in
file savegeneral optionsback up box for? Where and when will the
spreadsheet be backed up in that case.
Sharon

Hi,

"laldybug" wrote in message
I want my spreadsheets to automatically back up every few minutes. Is
this
possible? If so how do I do it.
Thank you.

www.ayyoo.com/loans.html

www.ayyoo.com/credit-cards.html

Dave Peterson

What version of excel do you have?

In xl2k and earlier, there's an autosave addin you can turn on (tools|Addins).
If you don't see it there, have your distribution CD available.

In fact, that addin will work with xl2002 and xl2003, too!

If you're using xl2002+, you can turn on autorecover--but this is different from
AutoSave.

The workbook is saved as a different name/folder every xx minutes (user
selectable).

If excel/windows crashes, the next time you start excel, it'll notice this file
and prompt you to find out if you want to use it.

If excel closes normally, this file is deleted (never to be heard from again!).

Another option:
You can use an addin from Jan Karel Pieterse called AutoSafe.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
last version it saved.

--

Dave Peterson
Fredrik Wahlgren

"laldybug" wrote in message
hi again,
I have entered a new spot for my spreadsheet to back up and it doesn't
appear to be working, I put a backup of every minute. Example: the
destination for backup that I put in is C:
Do you know why I can not find it on C: ?
Thank you,
Sharon

Excel will probably create hidden files.

/Fredrik