Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I make an Excel 2007 file read-only?

The responses to this have been for 2003 and I need help for Excel 2007. The
help function in Excel 2007 says to:

"On the Review tab, click Protect Document. Select Restrict Formatting and
Editing," but those icons don't even exist under my review tab. Has anyone
else had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

happycat -

In Excel 2007, the Protect Sheet dialog box (Review tab, Changes group) has
many options for what users are allowed (or not allowed) to do, including
formatting of cells or columns or rows.

Regarding "The responses to this," it seems you have started a new thread,
so I cannot see any previous responses.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com
Software and Books for Decision Analysis and Data Analysis

"happycat" wrote in message
The responses to this have been for 2003 and I need help for Excel 2007.
The
help function in Excel 2007 says to:

"On the Review tab, click Protect Document. Select Restrict Formatting and
Editing," but those icons don't even exist under my review tab. Has
anyone
else had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still have some free time left on my online help so I contacted them. I
received a response from one of Microsoft's representatives. First he told
me how to password protect a sheet or a workbook, which I already knew how to
do, and then he told me how to make a file read-only. With Excel 2007, it's
actually done outside of the software using these steps:

Find the file on your hard drive, disk or CD and then:

Right click on the file then select Properties.
Check the box Read-only, then click on OK.
If you use this protection, to make any changes to this file you would have
to uncheck the Read-only box

I still don't know why Excel's help menu references icons that don't even
exist, hopefully it's something they'll fix in the future. Now that I have
found the answer, I hope this second post of mine, answering my own question,
will help others.