Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does Excel ask to Save on Exit?

When I close a couple of excel files it always asks me wheterh I want to
save, even if I have made no changes to the file (i.e. just viewed it).
Other files just close without the prompt. Is there a way to control
how/whether Excel asks you? Thx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may have some volatile functions in those files - these include NOW,
TODAY and INDIRECT. These will re-calculate whenever the file is opened, so
Excel thinks that the file has changed, even if you do nothing to the file.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"JRSNHECI" wrote in message
When I close a couple of excel files it always asks me wheterh I want to
save, even if I have made no changes to the file (i.e. just viewed it).
Other files just close without the prompt. Is there a way to control
how/whether Excel asks you? Thx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"JRSNHECI" wrote:

When I close a couple of excel files it always asks me wheterh I want to
save, even if I have made no changes to the file (i.e. just viewed it).
Other files just close without the prompt. Is there a way to control
how/whether Excel asks you? Thx.

It could be that date and time are displayed on worksheet. From the time you
open till the time you close the worksheet the time has changed therefore the
save question. Therefore no need to save.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"JRSNHECI" wrote:

Is this true for a date function in the footer of the document as well?
Thanks.

I am no expert but I think it applies to any time you have the date or time
set to automatically adjust. IE: =TODAY() OR=NOW()

"John" wrote:

"JRSNHECI" wrote:

When I close a couple of excel files it always asks me wheterh I want to
save, even if I have made no changes to the file (i.e. just viewed it).
Other files just close without the prompt. Is there a way to control
how/whether Excel asks you? Thx.

It could be that date and time are displayed on worksheet. From the time you
open till the time you close the worksheet the time has changed therefore the
save question. Therefore no need to save.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Even if you double click on any cell, although without making any changes,
the system would ask you to save the file on exit.

--

Kind Regards,
Satti Charvak