Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Prompt to Save Message

When I close out of spreadsheets in Excel 2007, I am sometimes prompted with
the "Do you want to save" question, but sometimes I'm not. I want to have
this on all the time and receive the prompt whenever I close a spreadsheet
that I haven't saved. Any ideas on what's causing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some function are "volatile" which means they are calculated when the
file is opened (as well as with every calculation). NOW(), for
example, is calculated at open so that the time is current. There are
about a dozen function that are volatile. If your sheet contain such a
function and it calculates at open, Excel sees this as a change and
thus prompts to save when the workbook is closed, even if you didn't
change anything yourself.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:42:01 -0800, Adam O <Adam
wrote:

When I close out of spreadsheets in Excel 2007, I am sometimes prompted with
the "Do you want to save" question, but sometimes I'm not. I want to have
this on all the time and receive the prompt whenever I close a spreadsheet
that I haven't saved. Any ideas on what's causing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I understand that, and I'm fine with all prompts to save. The problem is
that sometimes that prompt doesn't occur, when I want it to occur all the
time. Under what instance would the program cause it not to appear?