Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding a cell or column to be included in a sum formula

Cell A1 is my "Total" column, with the formula of =sum(B1:X1). When I try to
add a new cell/column to the left of B1 (which then becomes B1, and B1
becomes C1, etc.), the formula does not include the new B1, but instead
changes to =sum(C1:X1). I have tried using =sum($B1:X1) but that didn't work.

I'd appreciate any insight as to how I can add a new cell/column to the left
of the existing first cell/column (i.e., B1) and have the formula adjust to
include the new cell/column.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you insert a new column it should change to
=SUM(C1:Y1) and not Sum(C1:X1) as you have mentioned.

If you want to sum the range B1:X1 even after inserting a new column (thus
leaving out the old X1 from the sum) use

=SUM(INDIRECT("B1:X1"))

I am unable to think of a solution to get
=SUM(B1:Y1)

"lindan8r" wrote:

Cell A1 is my "Total" column, with the formula of =sum(B1:X1). When I try to
add a new cell/column to the left of B1 (which then becomes B1, and B1
becomes C1, etc.), the formula does not include the new B1, but instead
changes to =sum(C1:X1). I have tried using =sum($B1:X1) but that didn't work.

I'd appreciate any insight as to how I can add a new cell/column to the left
of the existing first cell/column (i.e., B1) and have the formula adjust to
include the new cell/column.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

You need to cover an additional, leftmost col (left blank) in the SUM
Use instead in A1: =SUM(B1:Y1)
where col B is to be left blank

Then when you insert, use col C as the insertpoint and the formula in A1
will adjust automatically to include the new inserted col, eg: =SUM(B1:Z1)
--
Max
Singapore